February 23, 2006

Gender Confusion Confuses More Than Gender

No matter how weird things get, I know I am not going to get used to the weirdness. I know that in so many ways we are living in the days of Sodom but even perversion is getting perverse.

I saw an article in the Sports section of the local paper about Kelly Godsey who is a “weight thrower” for Bates College. She decided she wanted to take on a male identity and so changed her name from Kelly to Keelin. Frankly, with such a name, why bother but she went on to demand that “…professors, coaches and teammates use the male pronoun in athletic department releases and casual conversation.”

You could easily predict the school’s response which was, of course, to embrace it.

According to NCAA rules, Kelly is a female based on her physiology and anatomy so she is breaking no rules by competing as a female even though she wants to be a man. Just reading the press account of this story was bizarre and difficult to decipher due to the change of gender pronouns part way through the story.

Kelly, said, “I still want to compete. This was the only way I was going to do it.” “There are no rules being broken. I’m not doing anything illegal, anything wrong.”

Well, nothing wrong accept turning language upside down, standing sensibility on its head, and defying her God-given nature, role and personality. Other than that, I see her point.

Well, Kelly is applying to graduate school as a male desiring to be a Physical Therapist. I’m sure she’ll have no problem either getting in or being recognized as a guy.

So, you know, I have to say that if this is such a non-issue I believe we need to revisit or taxonomic classifications of species since science is being rewritten with respect to gender identity. It can no longer be legitimate to call a male frog “male” simply because it displays certain anatomical patterns. I guess we’ll have to figure out a way to have the frog tell us whether it’s a “he” or a “she.”

Get out those erasers teachers and get to work. Somebody slap me out of this stupor I am in. I have to be dreaming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home