September 20, 2006

Was It Prayer That Obtained Journalists Release?

I was watching Fox news one night and was listening to the voices of Steve Centanni and Olaf Wiig rejoicing after they had been released from captivity having been held by Islamic militants. What Steve Sentanni did not even know until they had been released was that their captors had told Wiig that they were intending to kill Sentanni.

So why didn’t they? Why, in this land where kidnappings rarely turn out with live bodies at the end of the story, were these two journalists, from a news group like Fox no less, released unharmed?

I don’t know why exactly, but when I heard Centanni had been kidnapped, I prayed for him and his cameraman and not just once or twice over the next several days. I honestly cannot tell you whether I pray, as a matter of course, for kidnapped journalists but I can say that I prayed differently for these two men.

Obviously I can’t prove this and I don’t want my comments to be taken as anything more than a “general” observation. But from what I see and hear on Fox News, I am willing to bet that the number of Christians who watch Fox News and who work for Fox News is significantly greater than for the other networks. (Actually this isn’t entirely speculation but has been born out by several polls)

Again, I am NOT saying for a second that Fox News is a Christian organization by any stretch. Fox owner, Rupert Murdoch has many unwholesome credits to his name…but you cannot miss the fact that Fox News does have a greater representation of people who seem to have a Judeo-Christian world view if not faith.

If I am right, could we assume that tens of thousands of people were praying for these two men? I can’t prove any of this like I said, but it should give one pause to consider. Prayer is important and prayer works; not always as we would like, but it is always answered. And prayer offered by Christians—in other words, “In Jesus’ name” are the only truly effective prayers.

"If you ask Me anything in My name,” Jesus said, “I will do it.” John 14:14

So, again, I don’t want to make too much of this, but I find it to be an interesting coincidence; don’t you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home