September 06, 2006

T.V. ads For "Valtrex" Highlight Our Self-Absorbed Culture

“So now, my sons, listen to me… Stay away from the immoral woman! Don't go near the door of her house! If you do, you will lose your honor and will lose to merciless people all you have achieved. Strangers will consume your wealth, and someone else will enjoy the fruit of your labor. In the end you will groan in anguish when disease consumes your body. You will say, "How I hated discipline! If only I had not ignored all the warnings! Oh, why didn't I listen to my teachers? Why didn't I pay attention to my instructors? I have come to the brink of utter ruin, and now I must face public disgrace."
Proverbs 5:7-14

This proverb of Solomon was referring to the wisdom of staying clear of sexual temptation, for enticing though it may be, it will destroy every aspect of one’s life from personal integrity, to length of days to daily health. It is written from the standpoint of one who ignored such wise counsel and sure enough reaped everything warned of and regrets not having listened to sound advice.

So there I am one afternoon watching Tiger Woods once again prove he is an extraterrestrial when there is a break for a commercial. This one is for a drug called “Valtrex” which is taken primarily to help reduce the symptoms of the venereal disease called Herpes. Herpes is a unique disease in that it is 100% preventable, but 100% incurable. Once infected, you’re infected for life and contagious during the periodic eruptions.

The Valtrex website says, “Living with genital herpes can be a hassle. When you have a herpes outbreak, it can feel like it takes days out of your life. On this site, you’ll learn how to still enjoy an active life with herpes.”

Isn’t that great? Now that you’re infected, we can help reduce (not eliminate) the consequences of your infection, but heaven forbid that you stop having sex with whomever you want. Just take our drug and you can pick up right where you left off; infecting anyone else you have sex with.

Now you know why 45 million Americans are infected and there are 1 million new cases annually.

Isn’t the Bible amazing? Even old Solomon knew that there was a huge price to pay for “free sex.” And he knew that remorse and regret would follow but the pharmaceutical companies do their best to mitigate the Lord’s hard but loving discipline. I pity the young man or young woman today who has kept themselves pure only to find out that one they are in love with has an incurable disease which they will likely pass on to them if the relationship continues. I wonder how many have had the courage and will to tell their would be, life-time mate, “Thanks, but under the circumstances, ‘No Thanks!’”

“Why didn't I pay attention to my instructors? I have come to the brink of utter ruin, and now I must face public disgrace.” Oh, if only we could make them listen…but then why should they? They can just take another pill.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you said that Tiger Woods was an "ET"...and then you saw a Valtrex commercial...

I realize that this post was done some time ago, but don't you think there is some irony here?

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home