February 22, 2005

Another Liberal Legislator Whose Loster Than Lost

How do you spell disingenuous? Maybe it would help to know what it means. It means insincere, not straightforward or calculating: Give up? You spell it Alvin Holmes; that’s right Alvin Holmes; Holmes, of Alabama is yet another liberal legislator who thinks he’s clever or cute or both.
During a House debate last week over a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages, Holmes pulled $700 out of his pocket and said, “I’ll make it $5000 if someone can show me in this Bible where it says that marriage is between a man and a woman."
Numerous people took his challenge and one person noted 1 Corinthians 7:2 which says, “But because of immoralities, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.” This wasn’t the only information he had been given but responding to this passage in particular here is how he answered it. “OK, but what that says [is]... if two people should get married and if they are of the same sex then she becomes his wife and he's the husband."
In other words, Holmes’ reasoning says that unless you can show me a verse that says, “Marriage is between one man and one woman and no one or nothing else,” he simply refuses to see it.
This is not intellectual honesty nor looking for truth, but a disingenuous attempt to look reasonable and open-minded. But his reasoning is deeply flawed for if he were to deal with sundry other issues of life, issues I am sure he would validate, he would find his logic coming home to bite him.
If I were to take Mr. Holmes’ vehicle I am sure he would protest. He might even say your Bible teaches not to steal. But using his reasoning I could say the Bible talks about using unjust balances and thereby does condemn “steeling” in that way but it doesn’t say I cannot help myself to your car if have need.
No, Holmes has made up his mind and drawn his conclusion; I don’t believe anything presented will sway him for such is the recalcitrant spirit of sinful man. “Don’t confuse me with the facts” is their motto for life. God help me that am never so deluded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home