May 06, 2005

Laura Bush Knocks Em Dead at Dinner

I heard something on the radio the other day about Laura Bush and the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner; something about Ms. Bush cutting up the crowd with raucous laughter but having crossed a line of propriety. This sort of criticism coming from anyone in the media today raised both my eyebrows given their lack of moral turpitude.

So what on earth had Laura Bush said? Thanks to the wonder of the internet I was able to find a pretty good representation of her comedic stand up much of which was at the expense of her husband. But it was the charge of being bawdy and over the line that piqued my curiosity.

Having read her shtick, I have to say it was certainly out of character for the normally elegant First lady which was a refreshing relief from the previous administration. But with the exception of one joke which pertained to the president’s ineptitude in trying to milk a horse rather than a cow, there wasn’t much to it, other than the fact it was so out of character.

So honestly, I have to say first I am a little disappointed if only because Laura Bush had elevated the standard of ladydom.to new heights and it tumbled a couple points. But Ms. Bush is human, she is her own person, and she was after all reading a scripted monologue which while I don’t know, I would be surprised if she had not forewarned the people at whom she had poked fun.

And while it was a bit edgy and I would have preferred something else, Laura Bush is not America’s priestess, Deacon, Pastor, or head of some Christian women’s ministry. She is the first lady to every citizen of this country and while some of her remarks were edgy, from what I can tell, she really connected with the majority of her subjects—like it or not.

So on balance, I have to agree with Rush Limbaugh on this one and that is that we conservative Christians do, at times, need to just lighten up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home