January 04, 2006

Follow up re: Military chaplains forbidden to pray in Jesus' Name

A few weeks back I told you about the military’s policy oppressing Christian chaplains by prohibiting them from praying “In Jesus’ name. I mentioned Navy Chaplain Gordon Klingenschmitt who was under discipline for having done just that.

As I posted this commentary to my blog one person wrote taking umbrage to my commentary saying that I didn’t have the facts of the story right. He insisted that chaplains were only asked to not to pray in Jesus’ name when invited to a public event where people of many different faiths may be present. I asked for documentation of his assertion but none was provided.

In an effort to give you only reliable information, I continued to research the story and am convinced that while this critic may be technically right as far as what the regulation actually states, (of that I am not certain) the application of the regulation is going beyond just chaplain activities in a so-called public arena. Case in point--

From the Stars and Stripes Sept. 6, 2005 issue

According to “a Pentagon regulation, ‘Chaplains shall be permitted to conduct public worship according to the manner and forms of the church of which they are members.’”

Yet Chaplain Klignenschimit was reprimanded for a sermon he gave at the memorial service of a sailor who had been killed. In the sermon Klignenschimit emphasized the fact that the sailor was certainly in heaven and “mentioned in passing that according to John 3:36, those who do not accept Jesus are doomed for eternity.’” That IS what the Bible states.

“My sermon was in the base chapel, it was optional attendance and it was by invitation,” Klignenschimit said. “If we can’t quote certain scriptures in the base chapel when people are invited to church, where can we quote them? Don’t paint me as a person who’s going around forcing my faith on people. I’ve never done that.”

So you see, there is a “real” problem in the military with Christians being censured just as I stated previously. If this is allowed to stand, well,, put another nail in the coffin of the United States of America, and kiss any expectation of God’s favor upon us good bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home